CRISIL Infrastructure Advisory's electricity group provides expert inputs and advisory services across the electricity value chain. It collaborates with key stakeholders-governments, utilities, regulatory commissions, multilateral investors, private developers and public sector undertakings. This collaboration provides:
- Deep understanding of the Electricity Act, 2003 and experience of closely working with the central and state government/regulatory commissions in shaping the policies and regulatory framework/guidelines
- Experience of working with Central Electricity Regulatory Commissions (CERC), and State Electricity Regulatory Commissions (SERCs) on regulations/orders such as open access, tariff determination and rationalisation, trading, cost of capital, parallel distribution, quality of supply and service, and grid code
- Experience of working with Forum of Regulators (FoR) in carrying out comprehensive analysis of various tariff orders in country, implementation of pan-India Renewable Energy Certificates (REC) framework, and determination of Renewable Purchase Obligation (RPO) trajectory for each state
- Comprehensive advisory experience of awarding projects under public private partnership (PPP). It includes assistance for award of transmission projects under PPP route and assistance to many utilities in procurement of power through competitive bidding route. Experience includes preparation of bid documents (including Request for Quotation (RFQ), Request for Proposal (RFP) and PPA), bid process management and PPA negotiation assistance, escrow capacities of state power utilities, payment support mechanisms, and risk assessment and mitigation options
- Experience of successfully assisting distribution utility in first PPP initiative in Bhiwandi (Maharashtra) through distribution franchisee model. This pioneer experience was followed by many advisory services for implementing, institutionalising and monitoring distribution franchisee in different states in India, including Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, and Haryana
- Hands-on experience on utility reform, restructuring and process improvement including experience of restructuring/reorganisation of Gujarat Electricity Board (GEB). CRISIL Infrastructure Advisory's electricity group has also assisted utilities in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board (HPSEB) and Chattissgarh in various reform initiatives including business process reengineering, benchmarking with best practices, cost of service and tariffs, human resources, management information system (MIS) and information technology (IT) implementation
- Experience in carrying out market and escrow assessment, business strategy and plan, and tariff/price forecasts for several investors and developers in India including in the renewable energy sector and Ultra Mega Power Plants (UMPP).
- International experience of assisting regulatory commissions and utilities in carrying out performance review of the utilities as well as tariff review and rationalisation
- Experience of working with leading advisory services in renewable energy space and involvement in policy, regulatory, market assessment, entry strategy, business plan, and bid advisory aspects for all renewable energy technologies.