Credit evaluation in the SME sector needs a specialised approach, as the issues and drivers of credit quality are different from those applicable for large companies. Understanding this distinction, CRISIL introduced the concept of SME credit ratings in India, designed exclusively for small enterprises, in 2005. Today CRISIL provides the widest coverage of SME rating in India.
Highlights of SME ratings
- We pioneered the concept of ratings for the SME sector in India and designed affordable and tailor-made rating products in collaboration with the Government of India
- We have rated over 45,000 MSMEs, by far the highest number anywhere in the world
- We work closely with more than 40 large banks and 500 industry associations
- Our ratings are used widely by banks as inputs for evaluation and monitoring of MSMEs
- Several of India's largest companies use our customised SME assessment services to evaluate their vendors, dealers, distributors, and franchisees
Under SME Ratings, CRISIL has seven distinct offerings: